All photos I have posted in this blog are my own, (unless I've stated that they are someone else's). Please do not use them without my permission. You are welcome to link back to this site.

Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

Spam will not be tolerated. I automatically DELETE those so don't even try!

Saturday, December 5, 2009

How I Make My Bows





Edited to add: Try to use wired ribbon because it holds it's shape better. It is so much easier to work with.



Hi everyone! My friend Marla from http://alwaysnesting.blogspot.com/ asked me if I could do a tutorial on how I make my bows. I’m sure there are different ways to make bows but this is how I make mine.



I am linking this post to



http://thediyshowoff.blogspot.com/2009/12/holiday-highlights-4.html



&


http://itssoverycheri.blogspot.com/ who is hosting It's So very Creative.

Please visit these two lovely blogs I recently found. :)


This is how I made the bow for the topper on my Christmas tree. You can see my Christmas tree here. http://mybellarose.blogspot.com/2009/12/our-tree-is-ready-to-receive-gifts.html


Please excuse the quality of some of my pictures. My 11 yr old took the pictures as I was making the bow.


To hold my bow together, I use floral wire.IMG_5082


Most of the time for bows, I like using two different ribbons. IMG_5085


Loop the ribbon like this. I loop the ribbon to mid-point.IMG_5086


To look like this. Scrunch the ribbon in the middle.IMG_5087


As you make each loop, twist the ribbon so that the ribbon you started out on top at the beginning is still on top.IMG_5088






Keep looping as you hold the ribbon with the other hand. Don’t let go of the ribbon or you’ll have to start all over again. I’ve let go and it’s a hassle to start all over. lol IMG_5089


Remember to twist your ribbon as you make each loop. IMG_5090


And keep looping until you have enough loops on each side. I usually have four loops on each side.IMG_5092


Keep looping.IMG_5096


Yay! I have all the loops now. Like I said, I usually have four loops on each side.IMG_5099


I like to have ribbon hanging down from the bow like a streamer. So I cut some ribbon with the gold ribbon on top just like my bow. IMG_5105


Scrunch it up in the middle.IMG_5109


And attach it to the bow. Make sure your wire is long enough. I cut mine too short. *blush*IMG_5111


Separate each loop like this. IMG_5120


Until they are all separated. Ta da! A bow! IMG_5122



With the same wire you used to make the bow, tie it to the top of your tree. You might have to fold the top branch first though. If your ceilings are high enough, then you probably don’t need to. Once you place it on top of the tree, work on your bow so it looks perfect. I then placed streamers all around the top of my tree but underneath the bow and left them curled up.


Marla, I hope you understood my tutorial. *blush*


Let me know if you have any questions. :)


Sandra

17 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Sandra,

Your tutorial came in the nick of time. I can only pray that my bows look as regal as yours. Thank you for sharing.

Have a blessed weekend.

BellaRosa said...

OOOhh me, me, I have a question...wouldn't it be so much easier if you just made one for me :) well it didn't hurt to ask..How pretty your bows came out. Besos, Rose

psst...I can send you my address in a milisecond :)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Sandra, thank you for the tutorial. I have always been clumsy with bows, and it's nice to know how many to use on each side. I also think it's a good idea to have two types of ribbon! That answers a bunch of my question. Thank you. And I finally see how to do streamers. You cut those separately! Yea!

I appreciate this very much...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! I'm going to pick up some wire if hubby doesn't have any stashed in the garage. Looks hard to create but your directions are wonderful. Thanks again!!!

Anonymous said...

I forgot, tell your son his pictures are wonderful. He did a great job.

I highlighted all the text and pics and printed that selection. I do most of my crafty stuff on my 30 year old beat up kitchen table. That way I would have instructions step by step in front of me. Even printing in black and white the instructions were perfectly clear and the pictures good quality. Now I have directions for future use. Thanks again!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I was never able to tie a pretty bow. Wired ribbon makes it so much easier.

blushing rose said...

That is how I do mine, Sandra & they still don't look quite as nice as yours. I'll try again ... TY for sharing.

TTFN ~Marydon
Join me @ our new blog ~
blushingrosetoo.blogspot.com

Darla said...

Sorry if Marla didn't get it, I did..LOL Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm so happy I found you, I love, love love your site and I'm going to add it to my list so I can follow you. I'm so impressed with you. I can't make a bow, I have every tool that's made and still can't, I just buy them. :( Really enjoyed my visit, will be back soon.

Hugs,
Chris

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Gorgeous! I never knew how to make one of those bows! Thanks for a great tutorial!

Manuela

June said...

Hi Sandra, What a great post! I love making bows and I always loved to share how to make them with some of the customers at the garden center I worked at because that meant less that I would have to make for them!lol You do gorgeous bows!
Hugs~

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Sandra, great tutorial on bow making. That's how I make mine too, but I haven't used 2 at a time. I'll have to try that too. I've been making bows for years too. Maybe I'll do a bow making post.

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing. I'm going to do one right now! Rosie

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Great post. Thanks for sharing the detailed instructions, and to your eleven year old for helping as well. Thank you for stopping by and saying hello. Pop in any 'ole time...hugs ~lynne~

Ldy ~~ Dy said...

Eeeek! Bows are always where I struggle! Great tutorial! But I have to admit...I cheat! My daughter who use to work years ago for gift wrapping in the old now gone Robinsons May.... does my bows. That is when I can catch her to do it!! Guess I should once and for all learn myself! Hugs!!

Its So Very Cheri said...

Awesome tutorial. Thanks for posting to the party.
Just an fyi most people are not getting the correct info in their reader-my updates are over 2 weeks old and I have made multiple other posts. I've been on with Google multiple times and they don't have an answer and I am not getting everyones updates in my reader either.

Cheri

Its So Very Cheri said...

be sure to check out my post,
Cheri