All photos I have posted in this blog are my own, (unless I've stated that they are someone else's). Please do not use them without my permission. You are welcome to link back to this site.

Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

Spam will not be tolerated. I automatically DELETE those so don't even try!

Friday, February 5, 2010

Curio Cabinet Tutorial

Hi everyone.  Yesterday I posted pictures of my curio cabinet redo.  Here is that post for your convenience. :) 
IMG_0275 (625x800)
First, I made sure that my curio cabinet was all clean and free of dust.  These parts of Texas get pretty dusty. :)
I placed blue painter’s tape so that I wouldn’t paint the glass.  I used this primer because I ran out of white primer.  This one is Zinsser 123.  This one is actually for deep tint.  I’d rather use white primer.  IMG_0222 (600x800)
I applied two coats of “Cottage White” by Behr.  This is my favorite paint to use on my pieces of furniture when I want to paint them in a white shade.  IMG_0242 (600x800)
After I was finished painting, I let it dry completely before using the antique paint.   This is the product I used to antique my cabinet.  I bought mine at H.L. but I’m sure you can find it at Michael’s too.  IMG_0247 (800x600)
I like using these sponge brushes when I plan to antique a piece.  Just pour a little bit on the sponge and go to town. :) IMG_0248 (800x600)
Here is the antique paint that I applied.  Apply it where you want the antique look…especially thru the crevices. IMG_0249 (800x600)
After you apply the antique paint, go back and wipe it off with a dry cloth.  Just keep wiping.  I have a dry rag and a wet rag.  The wet rag will wipe even more of the antique paint off.  IMG_0250 (800x600)
Here is this section after I wipe it off with the wet rag. IMG_0259 (800x600)
Try not to feel overwhelmed with antiquing a piece of furniture or whatever piece you’d like.  Just keep applying the antique paint a section at a time.  Working a section at a time makes it so much easier. IMG_0262 (800x600)
And before you know it, you are finished!!  Woohoo! IMG_0265 (588x800)
My next project to paint is this.  Can you say yuck?  lol   This was given to us by a friend.  I will be using “Cottage White” paint on it as well.  I can’t wait to show you the after! 
IMG_0288 (800x770)


I am linking this post to:
Furniture Feature Fridays
 
Please visit Mustard Seed Creations for other inspirational participants. :) 

Happy Friday!!
Sandra

13 comments:

Sonny G said...

wow Sandra, you made a real show piece out of that curio.. well done indeed, its looks beautiful now.
thanks for the paint color.. I'll be getting some of that when I go to town.
Brighest Blessings
Sonny

BellaRosa said...

Sandra amor, que bellissima! I love how it came out, you did a beautiful job. I have some pieces that I need to paint too, but I am always waiting for something to start on them, I call it my excuse list, some have a bucket list, I have the "one day...excuse list" :) Thank you for your sweet comment regarding Lorraine, she is usch a love and I feel for her heartbreak right now...and I know that so many of my wonderful blogging friends like you, know what she is going through...I am so sorry for the loss of your mama too, I know losing my Ita was like losing my mama too, she was my heart and the light in my life...but thank God, I am at the point now where I can think of her and feel soo blessed for the the lifetime that I got to have her in my life :) Besos and hugs to you my sweet amiga. Rose

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Looks great! I can't wait to see the other cabinet all re-done too...

Warm blessings,
Spencer

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

That cottage white is my fave too and your piece turned out so lovely! Cindy

Ginny said...

oh Sandra, How pretty! I even love the other piece...I could use it myself LOL!

Wyanne Thompson said...

What an incredible transformation! Fabulous work!

Pamela said...

Looks great Sandra! I am trying to get the nerve up to do our fireplace surround.

Ldy ~~ Dy said...

Sandra!! Just gorgeous!! You did a fabulous job on this. I love how you filled it with all your pretty things. Hugs!

Angie said...

Beautiful job! Can't wait to see what you do with the next piece.

Marianne said...

That is an interesing lookin cabinet, and so much better in white then in hot pink!

Ericka said...

Love this cabinet...it looks fabulous now in white! Wish I had one of those...great work!

Expressions by Heather said...

It turned out great!

Thank you so much for stopping by the Talented Tuesday at My Frugal Family link party, and adding this to the page! Don’t forget to stop back tomorrow to see which links from last week are featured, and to add your new links!

Miss Mustard Seed said...

What a pretty piece of furniture. It looks so much better in the white than the pink. Nice work!